Happy (late) Tuesday ya’ll! Today’s blog topic is brought to you by some “self work” and some writing exercises I am doing. If you know me at all…you know I’m always reading self-growth books, listening to positive living podcast, working on myself…all while drinking my hot tea, incense burning, wearing my “hippie” Young Living oils, and probably listening to some chillaxing music in the background : ) Yep, that’s me…in a nutshell (mostly) . I like this Nichol and I think she’s pretty badass. I feel most at peace when I’m in that “zone” doing those things. I adore quiet time and freedom…….and when I get those moments I like to work on me. It’s my fave thing to do (okay, okay….I sometimes like trashy reality TV and some Pretty Little Liars..haha…..or I love my Netflix! Like right now….thinking I need to restart One Tree Hill or Mad Men again..haha)
So today I ask you…when was the last time you followed your bliss? When was the last time you checked in with yourself to say “Hey self….what brings your joy?”. It’s probably been a LOOOOOOONG time for most of you, hasn’t it? Why?? Why haven’t you explored what brings you bliss? What makes you feel good? What makes you feel most like you? Right now, I want you to list out things that make you feel blissful or bring you joy. You can say it out loud, say it in your head, write it out in a journal, or you can put in on your notes section of you phone. Don’t think about it too much….just take a few deep cleansing breaths, clear your mind and then ask yourself. Whatever comes to mind…let it flow.
I’m a big believer in checking in with ourselves and asking what it is that brings us our bliss. These can be simple things too….it could be taking a long hot bath while drinking a glass of wine, taking a fitness class (hey…come take mine! haha), reading a book for 10-minutes uninterrupted, getting a facial or massage, going for a walk in nature, having coffee with a friend….whatever it is just do it. It will make you feel better, it will boost your spirits, it will boost your attitude and your outlook. A few things that bring me joy are:
1.Coffee in the morning with a quiet house (I usually go outside and drink mine when weather is warmer. Hi Indiana….did you hear that? Warmer please..pretty please!)
2. Being outside in nature. (nature is my fave way to clear my mind, connect with the Earth and to just recenter myself)
3. Teaching Fitness. (I love connecting with others and when I’m teaching I’m in the zone. I transcend to another level. I feel free and fluid)
4. Reiki. (I love being able to do this practice on myself, but more so on others. I love helping to harmonize their energies and helping them move past blocks in their energies. I love being able to help people. Doing healing energy work is very much a part of my soul and something I am truly passionate about. When I’m doing Reiki for myself or others I’m doing something that truly flows with the joy I have in my heart.)
5. Coffee (because duh…it’s coffee)
6. My Young Living Essential Oils (I have my EVERY SINGLE DAY protocol in the morning that I do as I brew up my coffee. I LOVE starting my day off applying them)
7. Incense. (I burn incense every single morning while I drink coffee and do some meditation. I feel so out of sync if I don’t have one going during this time of my day)
8. Meditation. (yes, scary word I know. I use to think same thing too. Some days I have awesome meditations,some days my freakin’ brain won’t shut up, and some days I don’t get it in…..but I try my best to make it a point to do AT LEAST 10-min a day. I always come out of it feeling so good. Try it…if you sit in silence for just 1- min a day…boom progress. Don’t let the word meditation scare you off….many people do it different ways. Find the way that works best for you. )
9. Yoga. (ahhh, I so love my yoga. I give my body the deep stretching it needs and it also pulls me out of my “I must do everything to perfection in exercise” mindset I tend to have. Yoga gets me out of my head and pulls me into a deep sense of connection with the NOW.)
10. Retail Therapy. (Hello…..I’m a girl and I love shopping. I’m a spirit junkie who also loves some good fashion and girly makeup. I love it and it makes me happy. See…not all things are tree huggin’, tea sippin. and incense burnin’ up in my world….haha)
**Notice I didn’t put my “joy” into other people? Yes, I love my friends and family….but you need to find things outside those relationships that cultivate joy on your OWN terms. The joy and happiness we seek lies within us…not outside of us and certainly not in another’s hands**
So I leave you with this question….what brings YOU joy and bliss? I encourage you to find it and do it….daily.